Tuesday, December 2

escape from 798 & the hutong laboratory


In the narrow alleyway between a public bathroom and courtyard residence a person on an electric bicycle beeped at me to move out of his way. Further along, I passed a small store filled with empty water containers and a dairy omitting blaring Chinese opera music from a hidden radio. It was dark. Apart from the intermittent orange light of street lamps, the only other light I had was from my phone. Lost somewhere in a downtown Beijing, I felt an unsettling mixture of frustrated and charmed as I searched for Zajia Lab...

My experience writing about a Beijing art project space and bar called Zajia was surprisingly important in helping me feel closer to this dynamic capital. The piece is up on White Fungus now (pending some grammar fixes)!

xx
Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave us your thoughts! xx